If you are having trouble setting up two-factor authentication (2FA) or signing into your account with 2FA, check out the troubleshooting steps below.
I am encountering an error setting up two-factor authentication (2FA)
Please check out our ‘Set up two-factor authentication (2FA)’ article for installation steps.
- Please ensure your authentication app supports 6-digit one-time password codes. We recommend using Google Authenticator for the authenticator app.
- You will need to grab the 6-digit temporary code either through the authenticator app or through SMS in order to finish the setup process.
- If you requested multiple codes, only the newest one will work. Codes expire after three minutes. After a code expires, you can't use it to sign in. Wait a few moments and then resend a new code and try again.
- If an error message pops up, please customer support, with images or a screen recording, along with your steps.
You didn't receive a text message (SMS)
If you're not receiving codes by text message (SMS), this could be for a few reasons.
- Make sure your service plan and mobile device support text message delivery. Delivery speed and availability may vary by location and service provider.
- Make sure your phone has a strong internet connection and that you've turned on cellular data on your phone. If this setting is off, you might not be able to receive text messages.
- If text message delivery is slow in your location or you have limited cellular service, try moving to a different location or connecting to a Wi-Fi network, and try resending a new code.
I've lost or can’t access my phone/authenticator app
- If you can't receive codes by text message because you don't have your phone or can't access it, try using another device or computer that can receive text messages sent to your phone number. Learn how to send and receive text messages from your Mac or PC.
- If you can’t access your authenticator app, please use the recovery codes that you saved during setup to log back into your account. Once you’re in the account, you can go to Account Settings > Security, to turn off and set up 2FA again.
- If you have SMS enabled for your 2FA, but have left the US or Canada region, please customer support.
I am not able to log in
- Check out our ‘Can't sign in to your Otter account’ article for more information.
- If your 6-digit code is not working when logging in, please wait a few minutes to resend the code and try again.
- If you're on a Business or Enterprise plan, your admin may have enforced 2FA. On the first sign-in, you will need to attach a phone number to set up 2FA before continuing to log in.
Note: For Business & Enterprise plans, where your admin has enabled 2FA, you will only have the option to add a phone number on the first sign-in after 2FA has been enabled. Once you are signed in, you can update the authentication method.
If you're still experiencing problems, contact your admin or customer support.